Waking up with a dry mouth does not help motivate you for the day. It can be uncomfortable and ruin your mood. But what is a dry mouth a sign of? Your mouth dries up when there is a lack of saliva production. Usually, if you wake up with a dry mouth, it could be dehydration, diabetes, or many other reasons. Saliva is essential for your mouth as it keeps it hydrated and prevents your oral cavity from becoming too acidic. Hence, improving saliva production is critical to avoid complications and discomfort. This blog will list 7 tips to prevent dry mouth while sleeping.
How to Prevent Dry Mouth While Sleeping?
Preventing dry mouth while sleeping is possible. Stick to these tips to avoid dry mouth at night:
- Stay Hydrated Water is highly beneficial for your overall health and helps improve your saliva production. Your salivary glands need an adequate amount of water to produce saliva, which mainly contains water. Sipping water throughout the day, not just when you are thirsty, can remarkably increase moistness in your mouth. Habitual drinking of water also benefits your body in case of minor dehydration.
- Limit Caffeine & Alcohol Intake Coffee and tea have caffeine, which can dry your mouth while sleeping. Alcohol consumption increases water output in your urine, especially during the evening, as alcohol is a diuretic. Thus, avoiding both caffeine and alcohol should help you wake up with a moist mouth.
- Chew Sugar-free Gums Chewing sugar-free gum is valuable in preventing dry mouth while sleeping. It will reduce dry mouth and promote saliva production. Although it is not a miracle cure for dry mouth, it can help moisten it.
- Get a Humidifier Dry weather can also play a role in giving you a dry mouth. Therefore, using a humidifier will help add moisture to the air and prevent dry mouth while sleeping.
- Do Not Smoke Smoking releases hazardous chemicals in your body, meddling with normal bodily functions and processes. Your mouth is exposed to all the toxic chemicals that smoking introduces to your body. Thus, you get a dry mouth and worse. To avoid dehydration and other effects of smoking, it is better to give it up.
- Maintain a Proper Oral Hygiene Your sleeping habits should include proper oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth before bed, using fluoride toothpaste, using a mouth wash, and flossing can significantly improve your oral health. Regular oral care maintenance can go a long way and is an excellent way to prevent dry mouth while sleeping.
- Check Your Medications Many medicines have dry mouth as a side effect. Check the side effects of your medications to see if it includes a dry mouth. Then, ask your doctor if they can recommend a replacement.
What to Keep in Mind?
Waking up with a dry mouth can be pretty inconvenient and not a good start to your day. There are many ways to prevent dry mouth while sleeping. These include good oral hygiene, lack of alcohol and caffeine consumption, using humidifiers, chewing sugar-free gum, not smoking, checking medications for side effects, and drinking plenty of water. Our specialists at Nirvana Elite Sleep & Wellness can help; just dial 832-952-1199 to get consultations on your sleep-related problems.